This deliciously decadent recipe is all about the potatoes in melted cheese! We love this classic favorite for as part of celebrations anytime of year, Mother’s day, graduations, holidays, brunches, any time you want a crowd pleaser; and it smells divine while baking.
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups chopped leeks, white and pale green parts
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3-3/4 lb. baking potatoes (russets), peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded Gruyère cheese
- 2 cups cream (heavy cream, ½ & ½, or whole milk for a lighter version)
- 1 cup Chunky Spinach Artichoke & Parmesan Dip
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Generously butter a 9-inch x 13-inch baking dish, set aside.
- In a large frying pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Mix together salt and pepper, set aside.
- Spread 1/3 of the potatoes in an even layer in the prepared baking dish and season with about 1/4 of the salt and pepper mixture. Top with 1/3 of the cheese and 1/2 of the leeks and season with about 1/3 of the remaining salt mixture. Top with 1/2 of the remaining potato slices, 1/2 of the remaining cheese and the remainder of the leeks, seasoning with 1/2 of the remaining salt. Layer with remaining potatoes, cheese and salt mixture.
- In a small saucepan, slowly heat the cream and dip over medium heat until simmering. Pour evenly over the potatoes. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and place the baking dish on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 hour. Remove foil and continue baking until the potatoes are tender and golden brown on top, about 30 minutes longer.
- Let stand about 5 minutes, then serve hot.