A decadent cross between French toast and ham and cheese sandwiches; our modern twist offers the opportunity to enjoy with a sweet, crisp pear or apple.
- 8, 3/4-inch thick slices crusty artisan-style bread
- 1/4 cup Chunky Artichoke & Jalapeno Dip or Chunky Spinach Artichoke & Parmesan Dip
- 6 oz. Brie cheese, thinly sliced (substitute with Swiss cheese for a traditional flavor)
- 3 oz. prosciutto or Black Forest ham, thinly sliced
- 1 small, crisp sweet apple, cored and thinly sliced (can substitute with crisp, sweet pear)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- Kosher salt, powder sugar (optional)
- Spread dip evenly on one side of each slice of bread. Top four of the bread slices with the cheese, meat and apple slices on the dip treated side. Close sandwich with remaining bread slices, dip side in. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs and allspice in a large shallow bowl.
- Melt the butter on a griddle or in a nonstick skillet large enough to hold all the sandwiches without crowding over medium/low heat. Dip both sides of the sandwiches into the eggs. Cook, covered, until the bottom sides are golden brown, about 3 minutes. Carefully flip and continue cooking, covered, until the other side is golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Cut the sandwiches in half, sprinkle with salt and powder sugar, and serve.
Chef’s Note: If you do not have a large enough skillet for all four sandwiches to be cooked at once, you can cook one or two at a time and keep them warm on a plate.